The activities of the Physical Oceanography cover:
i) The study of physical processes in the Ocean through observation programmes .
ii) Development of numerical models and softwares for prediction and projection of measurements system response.
Physical oceanography staff members in NIO are involved in experimental, theoretical, laboratory and numerical investigations of oceanic motions which occur over a wide range of scales.
The major fields of research to understand the physical processes of deltaic, coastal and offshore waters of the northern Arabian Sea region are :
1) Sea level changes and coastal water dynamics.
2) Distribution and structure of oceanic fronts in the shelf seas.
3) Analysis of oceanic and tidal currents.
4) Tidal predictions for ports along Pakistan Coast.
5) Spatial and temporal variations in coastal processes.
6) Numerical modelling.